The City of Montgomery is looking for individuals to make the commitment to be more involved in the leadership of their community. One of the following City commissions may be the place to do so. The initial step in getting involved is to attend an upcoming meeting of the commission you are interested in to learn more about their project work and to meet the current members.
The following commissions have openings and are in need of members to complete their volunteer teams:
Members foster and promote the visual and performing arts within our City. Programs and events include the Photo Contest, Live at the Uni Concert Series, All Fired Up Ceramics Exhibit and Sale and July 3 Patriotic Concert. Meetings are scheduled for the first Monday of each month at 5 p.m. One commission position will be open March 1.
Beautification and Tree Commission
The Beautification and Tree Commission annually develops and updates a plan for the care of trees, shrubs and flowers in all public areas. It advises the administration and the City Council on the prudent and productive use of financial resources for the purposes within its charge. The commission proposes programs, submits an annual budget, supervises such undertakings as are authorized by City Council and reports its progress annually on projects and activities within its responsibility. Commission activities include Beautification Week flower planting, Beautification Awards, Arbor Day celebrations, Tree City USA recognition, Plant Swaps, downtown holiday decorating and hanging basket planting and tree workshops. Meetings are held the first Monday of each month at 9 a.m. One commission position is currently open.
Environmental Advisory Commission
Members provide education and information to the public and are a resource for the City on yard waste, recycling, storm water management, water resources management, air pollution control, noise pollution control and soil and landscape protection and protection of flora and fauna. Commission members assist with the Recycling Drop-Off Project, Recycling Sculpture Contest and educational programs. Meetings are held the second Tuesday of each month at 4:30 p.m. One commission position will be open February 1.
Sister Cities Commission
The commission works toward “bringing the world together one friendship at a time.” The commission is responsible for overseeing activities associated with the City’s Sister City, Neuilly-Plaisance, France, as well as a variety of annual activities including the Bastille Day celebration and the International Reception. Meetings are held the third Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. One commission position will be open March 1.
For further information and/or to apply for one of the positions, contact DeAnna Gross at 792-8329 or .
- Dec 5 - Montgomery Food Share pick-up date
- Dec 13 - Montgomery Presbyterian Church hosts Christmas Wassail Hour
- Dec 17 - Community of the Good Shepherd hosts A Capella Christmas
- Dec 20 - St. Barnabas "Lessons and Carols" holiday service
- Jan 14 - Montgomery Chamber Of Commerce Lunch Learn and Leads
- Feb 11 - Montgomery Chamber of Commerce Lunch, Learn & Leads
- Mar 9 - Town Hall Lecture Series with Janice Driver
- Mar 10 - Town Hall Lecture Series with Janice Driver
- Mar 10 - Montgomery Chamber Of Commerce Lunch, Learn and Leads
- Apr 13 - Town Hall Lecture Series with Nicholas Sparks
- Sycamore Senior Center Meals on Wheels Staff Support
- Sycamore Senior Center Meals on Wheels Drivers
- Sycamore Senior Center Office Support
- Sycamore Senior Center Cafe Support
- Twin Lakes Offers Volunteer Opportunities
- City of Montgomery Volunteer Opportunities
- Operation Give Back seeks Tutors, Pantry & Office Assistant
- BAMSO Guild Seeks Volunteers
- NEEDS Collects Food, School Supplies for Area School Children